Village Of Remsen

Oneida County

History


Map 1907

History

1798    Oneida County was formed and Remsen Township was organized on March 15th


1800    Grist Mill, Saw Mill & Blacksmith shops were operating adjacent to the high falls, south end of the village


1812    Tannery was established along Main Street


1831    Capel Cerrig (Stone Meeting House) was opened


1845    Village of Remsen was incorporated


1869    Remsen Township was divided and the Town of Forestport was formed on November 24th


1892    Railroad junction of all three train lines north of Utica was completed at the Remsen Depot


1892    Remsen Methodist Church was built     


1893    Remsen Baptist Church was dedicated


1908    Cornerstones were set for the current Didymus Thomas Library


1910    Junction House on Maple Street was built


1922    Remsen Volunteer Fire Company was organized


1935    Current Remsen Central High School building was dedicated, north end of the village


1964    Passenger train service ended in Remsen and the Depot building was torn down


1980    First Annual Remsen Barn Festival of the Arts was held along Main Street


1980    Current Remsen Central Elementary School building was completed


1997    New Gym addition is finished at Remsen Central High School


2000    Restoration of the rail yard, repairs to the original water tank, the completion of the new Remsen Depot


Images:
Historic Aerial photo
Main Street, North
Remsen Depot
Depot Street
Falls 1812
Main Street, South
© 2014 Village Of Remsen, Oneida County